What is the Difference Between Cotton Tote Bags and Canvas Tote Bags?
Cotton tote bags and canvas tote bags are becoming more and more popular. One reason is their high level of sustainability and eco-friendliness. Another is their versatility and usefulness, together with their stylish flair and casual-chic elegance. However, when it comes to an understanding of what is the difference between cotton tote bags and canvas tote bags, we first need to consider a series of factors contributing to their similarities.
Both cotton and canvas are natural fabrics with high degrees of environmental friendliness. We all know cotton and canvas bags are slowly but steadily replacing plastic bags when it comes to groceries. Moreover, these natural fabrics are biodegradable, and their exploitation and production do not have a substantial impact on the environment.
Many consider that we can wear and carry cotton and canvas tote bags only when we go shopping, but in fact, as we showed many times, tote bags are the new IT bags for the office, school, casual outings, and more.
One of the most significant advantages of both cotton bags and canvas bags is their increased level of affordability. Either you buy one or a bulk pack the price will never be a problem. For this reason, companies and brands use tote bags as corporate gifts for their colleagues, collaborators, or events’ attendees. Tote bags make excellent gifts for girls and women, especially if you personalize them or maybe fill them with specialty goodies.
Now that we pointed out the main similarities between cotton tote bags and canvas tote bags – and they are not the only ones – it is time to talk about their differences.
What is the Difference between Cotton Tote Bags and Canvas Tote Bags?
It is quite difficult to choose between cotton tote bags and canvas tote bags, especially when you love both. After all, they serve similar purposes and come with similar advantages.
In truth, the choice of fabric depends on the wearer’s needs and purposes. You can have both types of tote bags and a bunch of tote bags for every occasion or outfit and take them out depending on the context. As you know, tote bags are the staple accessories of young women who are light at heart, joyful, and practical.
Tote bags are the staple of book lovers and geeks, environmental friendly people trying to make a change in the world, a new and whimsical manner to spread a statement or a message, or just a way to look young, fresh, and new every time you go out of the house.
While knowing what is the difference between cotton tote bags and canvas tote bags is important – and we will discuss matters in a minute – it is equally important to choose what suits your personality the best.
Cotton Tote Bags:
Most people know that cotton is one of the oldest material that has been used for decades. Hence, cotton is the best material to make a bag compared to plastic, considering its environmental aspects.
Cotton totes bags are also more durable and reusable tote bags.They are cheaper in the long run and good for any kind of shoppings. Any kind of logo, heat transfer, iron on, and screen print can be done easily on a cotton tote bag's surface because the cotton material is resistant to over 350 Fahrenheit.
Furthermore, they are perfect for any kind of embroideries because of their soft cotton material. An average size cotton tote bag weights about 2-6 oz.
Here are more things you need to know about cotton tote bags in comparison to canvas tote bags:
- Cotton tote bags sport a smoother, more refined texture; this is why they make some of the best products when it comes to promotional bags, gift bags, and stylish purses or accessories; since cotton is a perfect medium for personalization, you can turn your promotional cotton tote bags into veritable works of art;
- You can wash, clean, and maintain cotton tote bags just as you would your cotton clothes and other accessories; as long as you follow the general rules regarding cotton washing and maintenance, your cotton tote bags will last for years;
- Cotton is resilient and durable, becoming a good choice if you want products that can resist wear and tear; however, make sure you buy premium quality 100% cotton tote bags for daily uses and heavy carrying.
- You can use a cotton tote bag for almost anything you can imagine: groceries and shopping, casual outings, formal wear, at the beach, as bridal gift bags, promotional bags, pantry storage of dry products or vegetables, gifts for girls and women in your life, and more.
Canvas Tote Bags:
Canvas cotton bags are sturdier compared to cotton bags because canvas tote bags are intensely sewn during their manufacturing stage. Canvas features an excellent strength-to-weight ratio, meaning that they are durable but lightweight. Hence, they can carry heavier items and last more years compared to cotton tote bags. Additional to what cotton tote bags can carry, canvas tote bags can even carry large-sized and heavy books.
Here are more things you need to know about canvas tote bags:
- Because of its durable material, canvas totes are also perfect for detailed logos. Heat transfer, iron on, and screen print can be done quickly. The canvas material is durable to more than 350 Fahrenheit. Moreover, their canvas material is excellent for any embroideries;
- An average size canvas bag weights about 6-12 oz;
- You can waterproof canvas tote bags for even more resilience to wear and tear, especially if you want to use them outdoors;
- Cleaning and maintenance of canvas tote bags are not difficult if you follow the rules; we have put together a complete guide on how to clean canvas bags to help you take better care of your canvas bags in the long run;
- In the fashion world these days, canvas bags compete with classic leather bags regarding quality, looks, sustainability, and elegance; as you can see, canvas bags are more than just shopping accessories, becoming more and more stylish in the last years;
- Being more resilient, more massive, sturdier, with a more rugged texture, and a solid look, canvas bags find their utility in a wide range of fields. They make excellent teacher bags due to their heavy-duty features, can become the heart and soul of DIY styling projects, and you can use them for anything from groceries shopping to office meetings.
We have to be honest about canvas bags regarding their sustainability, however – an important factor making the difference between them and cotton tote bags. We make canvas bags from cotton, and the production stage has an impact on the environment.
Cotton and organic cotton are renewable resources, but canvas is a cotton-based product. It is why we need to use a canvas bag around 100 times for it to become eco-friendly and sustainable. Such an endeavor is not challenging, nevertheless, as wearing a canvas bag for shopping, at work, or during casual outings during the year easily reaches this threshold.
Overall, the material of the tote bag should be picked depending on its usage. Although cotton tote bags are more durable, great for screen-printing, when compared to the other kind of bags, canvas tote bags are even more durable and last longer. Moreover, canvas tote bags are more versatile when it comes to daily usage and fashion wearing.