What is a Tactical Fanny Pack and Why Wear One?
We all know fanny packs and love them, especially since they came back into fashion, mixing utility with style. In the past years, they became more than just dads’ way to carry extra pockets on their belt or youngsters’ go-to accessory at concerts or festivals. The mighty fanny pack is now slick and cool, completing and complimenting urban outfits and outdoor needs. How about a tactical fanny pack, however? Is it good for your hobbies and outdoor activities?
What Is A Tactical Fanny Pack
But a tactical fanny pack is not the same as a regular street-smart one. Tactical fanny packs are in a league of their own. Advertised mostly to firearm users, military trainees, and survivalists, the tactical fanny pack found its way into the lives of people who do not necessarily carry weapons or train to become law enforcement.
Still one of the favorite accessories of preparedness experts and survivalists, the tactical fanny pack is a gear we should look more into for everyday uses. Let’s learn more today about this item and see why and how we can wear it!
The Tactical Fanny Pack Definition and Features
While there is no official definition of a tactical fanny pack, one can easily distinguish between items and other fanny packs that serve different purposes. An excellent trip and outdoor accessory, the tactical fanny pack, comes with a set of features that distinguishes it from the other members of its family:
- They feature multiple compartments and pockets, zippers, Velcro closings, etc. These tactical fanny packs can store and carry plenty of goods, including (but not limited to) phone, keys, tactical wallet, a handgun, a Swiss army knife, first aid kit, snacks, water bottle, and more. You will hear survivalists, preparedness experts, and outdoor buffs call the “tactical fanny pack,” a “multifunctional waist bag.” For instance, our sports dual squeeze bottle outdoor travel fanny waist pack might become your favorite hiking, hunting, fishing, or travel companion you had in a while.
- The tactical fanny packs are durable and resilient to wear and tear. They come in sturdy materials, often water-resistant, and sport a rugged look, making them ideal accessories for hiking, camping, and other outdoor sports and activities, including fishing, hunting, trekking, camping, etc.
- Compared to urban fanny packs we use as bags and purses, tactical fanny packs are roomier and significantly more extensive. Some of them can also carry a concealed weapon, tools, and other accessories. Leaving behind altogether the stigma of the 80s and 90s, today’s tactical fanny packs are true mini-backpacks one can pack and carry for various needs. The visible and invisible compartments and pockets, the adjustable belt, sturdy construction, and extra benefits (such as the dedicated compartments for water bottle carrying) make them excellent choices for modern and active people.
Now that we saw the main features and description of the tactical fanny pack let’s see how many types are there on the market and which one you should choose for your needs.
Types of Tactical Fanny Packs
Before you buy a tactical fanny pack, you should know they come in a couple of different shapes, sizes, and functions. Let’s see the most common types of fanny packs you can get for your needs!
1. The military-style tactical fanny pack
This fanny pack/waist bag is excellent for all your hiking, biking, fishing, hunting, trekking, bouldering, or camping activities. It usually features compartments and pockets to carry a phone, keys, pens, phone charger, sunglasses, flashlight, cash, ID, a Swiss army knife, and snacks. Such accessories come as regular fanny packs (with their adjustable belt) or as pouches you can attach to your belt or a backpack.
2. The outdoor tactical fanny pack
The go-to item of outdoor sports’ buffs, survivalists, preparedness experts, search & rescue volunteers, hikers, trekkers, campers, etc., this type of fanny pack is indeed a small backpack you can carry as a belt. Such heavy-duty waist packs distinguish themselves by featuring one or two insulated bottle holders, multiple zippered pockets, sleeves, adjustable compression straps, easy-pull zippers, waterproof material, and more. They can easily carry all your belongings when you spend some days in the wilderness or preparing for extreme outdoor adventures.
3. Concealed carry fanny pack or pouch
By design, these pouches come with an easy-to-access compartment that carries the handgun of your choice, additional magazines, even a small tablet. Besides a weapon, these tactical fanny packs feature many pockets, sleeves, and useful compartments. If you are not a fan of firearms, you can still use such fanny packs for longer outdoor experiences. They are a favorite of seasoned hikers and campers who love to spend time in the wilderness exploring, cooking, fishing, etc.
4. The Molle tactical utility pouch
Frequently larger and more spacious than their peers, these tactical fanny packs are the staple of people who use the military gear for military training exercises. You will see them worn by search and rescue trainees, hunters, fishing professionals, mountain rescuers, survivalists, etc. Such tactical fanny packs also feature hard cases. You can attach them quickly to your belt, backpack, or tactical vest. The soft ones – looking like fanny packs but a lot larger – also make attractive small backpacks or messenger bags when choosing to wear them cross-body.
Top Reasons to Get a Tactical Fanny Pack this Year
Besides being an excellent travel companion, a tactical fanny pack serves multiple purposes:
- It replaces a backpack – even the smallest model – when you need full freedom of movement and as little weight as possible. For instance, if you want to jog on a backcountry trail, you only need a tactical fanny pack for your necessary items, snacks, and water for such a short excursion.
- It completes and complements a backpack. When you go on a more extended wilderness trip, and you already have a full bag, where do you keep the items you need to have at hand? A tactical fanny pack can carry anything without you having to rummage through your mountaineering or survival backpack that you packed already in a professional manner.
- A tactical fanny pack is your faithful companion when you want extra items at hand to give course to a hobby: additional lures, hooks, and tools readily available for your fishing days; bug spray, sunscreen, snacks, and water within reach during your mountain biking experience; notebook, pens, binoculars, or rangefinder when you go hunting or birds watching.
As you can see, a tactical fanny pack comes with plenty of benefits, besides the purpose of helping you carry a weapon. Such an item can become an excellent accessory for all your outdoor adventures and training situations. Check out our collection of fanny packs and pick your favorite for all your urban needs and outdoor hobbies!